What is diversity?
Diversity in the workplace is understanding, accepting, and valuing the different personal, physical, and social characteristics of your workers. These characteristics include:
- Cultural background.
- Physical ability and disability.
- Sexual orientation. True workplace diversity encompasses all the elements that make an individual unique, such as their perspectives, preferences, characteristics, and even biases.
What is inclusion?
Inclusion in the workplace is the procedures, policies, and behaviors a company puts in place to ensure all their workers' differences and needs are taken into account. The goal of inclusion is to create a respectful company culture and environment where all employees feel comfortable, included, and accepted, and are happy to participate and share their opinions.
True workplace inclusion removes barriers, discriminations, and intolerance to ensure that all employees feel included and supported.
Differences Between Diversity and Inclusion:
Refers to the characteristics and elements that make an individual unique.
Refers to the behaviors and social norms that ensure an individual feels welcomed and safe.
A concept that brings different people together in the same place.
Methods and strategies implemented to make diversity work.
Achieved when hiring managers and recruiters strive for heterogeneity and combatting bias in the hiring process.
Achieved when team members feel psychologically safe and included in the workplace.
Relies on inclusion in order to work.
Is crucial for diversity in the workplace to be successful.
Benefits of Diversity and Inclusion in the Workplace:
- The diversity of perspectives, experiences, and backgrounds boosts creativity and problem-solving and drives innovation.
- Diversity leads to a larger talent pool, which will attract attention from a wider range of qualified candidates, while inclusion will ensure a higher percentage of talent retention.
- The acceptance generated by inclusion in the workplace will lead to happier employees, thus increasing productivity and performance.
- Diverse companies generate higher revenues by capturing new markets.
- Inclusion policies lower the percentage of workplace harassment.