District Attorney Job Description Template
We are looking for a results-driven district attorney to strengthen our criminal prosecution system. You will be assessing police reports, coordinating a team of associates, and presenting pre-trial motions and cases in court.
To ensure success as a district attorney, you should demonstrate extensive knowledge of the criminal justice system and experience in presenting cases in court. An accomplished district attorney will be someone whose expertise results in an increase in successful prosecutions.
District Attorney Responsibilities:
- Preparing criminal prosecution cases and representing the state in court.
- Reviewing police reports and collaborating on criminal investigations.
- Assessing the legal merits in bringing criminal charges against perpetrators.
- Consulting with victims, law enforcement, judges, and alleged perpetrators.
- Preparing and filing pre-trial motions.
- Studying case law and gathering sufficient evidence to successfully prosecute perpetrators in court.
- Overseeing and guiding a team of associates and legal clerks.
- Documenting trial preparations, court procedures, evidence lists, interview transcripts, police reports, and criminal investigations.
- Abiding by the state's prosecution laws and upholding professional ethics.
District Attorney Requirements:
- American Bar Association (ABA) accredited bachelor's degree in law or criminal justice.
- State Bar Association membership.
- Active state-approved licensure.
- At least 5 years experience in state prosecution.
- Demonstrable track record in the successful prosecution of criminal cases.
- Proficiency in case management software, such as Legal Files and CaseMap.
- Exceptional analytical and critical thinking abilities.
- Superb leadership, communication, and collaboration skills.
- Excellent time management and organizational abilities.