Direct Support Professional Job Description Template
We are looking for a capable direct support professional to care for our residents and to encourage them to live independent, productive lives. The direct support professional will follow guidelines and specific instructions pertaining to individual residents’ support, treatments, and care. You will assist with personal care needs, support the expression of spiritual beliefs, and encourage meaningful interactions between residents and the community. You will be an advocate for the whole community with disabilities.
To be successful in this role you need to be mindful of resident’s disabilities in an empathetic manner, yet care for them in a way that encourages their independence and inclusion in the community. Top candidates are empathetic, patient, and prudent.
Direct Support Professional Responsibilities:
- Establishing a secure, positive environment that nurtures residents' needs, self-expression, and goals.
- Overseeing residents and taking care of their needs, and performing housekeeping duties.
- Delivering individualized training and care for residents in compliance with healthcare professionals’ instructions and other specific guidelines.
- Advancing residents’ decision-making, productivity, and participation in a range of activities.
- Promoting independence in daily activities, such as work, learning, and leisure.
- Facilitate resident’s inclusion in the community's experiences and activities.
- Maintaining knowledge of residents’ requirements.
- Complying with the facility’s policies and procedures.
- Maintaining documentation in compliance with company procedures.
- Operating facility's vehicles in compliance with company policies and governmental statutes.
Direct Support Professional Requirements:
- High school diploma, GED, or suitable equivalent.
- Mandt, CPR, and first aid certification.
- Completion of provided training.
- Completion of a criminal background check and health screening.
- 6+ months of social service or life experience with individuals with intellectual or developmental disabilities.
- Proficient computer skills.
- Valid driver’s license, own reliable vehicle, and good driving record.
- Comfortable with assisting residents with hygiene and medical routines.
- Availability to work shifts.
- Outstanding organizational and people skills.