Interview Questions for Direct Support Professionals:
1. Could you give me examples from past experiences where you guided individuals toward independence?
A direct support professional is responsible for taking care of the needs of others in a balanced manner that encourages their independence. The candidate needs to display this ability.
2. Are you prone to over-helping others, and why would you say so?
Over-helping others could be a sign of codependence. Listen for the candidate to convince you they don’t have these traits.
3. Would you be able to assist with the personal care routines of adults, and why?
Direct care professionals assist individuals with hygiene and medical routines. The potential hire needs to show they are comfortable doing so.
4. Do you have the ability to treat others with patience, and could you tell me where you have displayed this quality?
Listen for the applicant to share this attribute.
5. What are the three most important lessons you have learned from interacting with individuals with disabilities?
The applicant has to express a connection to the experiences and realities of people with disabilities in their answer.