Companions provide basic housekeeping and care for the sick, elderly, or recovering patients. They clean, plan and accompany clients to activities and social events, and promote the health of their clients by adhering to medication, diet, and exercise plans.
Companion Job Description Template
We are looking for a compassionate, attentive Companion to care for and assist our clients to ensure they lead safe, healthy lives. The Companion will provide emotional support as clients heal or cope with disabilities, aging, sickness, or surgery. They will take care of basic housekeeping, prepare meals, remind clients to take medication, help clients engage in activities and social events, and perform other tasks to help clients feel safe and supported. You should have strong communication and planning skills and be willing to meet the physical demands of the position and comply with all safety, medical, and dietary directions.
To be a successful Companion, you should be focused on providing the best possible care and support for your clients. You should be sympathetic, responsible, attentive, and detail-oriented.
- Engaging clients by conversing with them and planning and attending them as they participate in appropriate social activities and hobbies.
- Handling basic housekeeping, such as dusting, sweeping, mopping, organizing, and laundry.
- Planning and preparing meals for clients, taking dietary restrictions and preferences into consideration.
- Taking a genuine interest in client by listening to their needs, ensuring that their environment is clean and safe, and providing them with proper food and medication.
- Monitoring clients, recording and reporting any developments or concerns to appropriate parties, such as company supervisors, doctors, or family members.
- Driving clients to planned outings or events.
- Handling errands for or with client, such as grocery shopping, paying bills, writing letters, etc.
- Providing emotional support for clients as they heal or cope with their conditions.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- More education, experience, specific skills or interests, or training may be preferred.
- Fluency in the client’s language may be required.
- Excellent references and a valid driver’s license with a clean driving record.
- Strong communication, listening, planning, housekeeping, and reasoning skills.
- Ability to handle physical demands, such as lifting or support client and stand, walk, bend, or crawl for extended periods.
- First aid. CPR or nursing training may be a plus.
- Caring, sympathetic approach to working with clients.
- Willingness to follow directions and adhere to all company policies, safety procedures, and dietary, exercise, and medication plans.
Post a Companion job ad to 100+ free job boards with one submission