Commis Chefs are novice Chefs who work under Chef de Parties in commercial kitchens to expand their culinary knowledge and skills. They perform various kitchen duties, such as assisting Chef de Parties in meal preparations, receiving deliveries, and rotating stock.
Commis Chef Job Description Template
We are looking to hire a hard-working and efficient Commis Chef to prepare meal ingredients for the Chef de Partie and assist with various kitchen duties. The Commis Chef's responsibilities include informing the supervisor of malfunctioning or broken kitchen equipment, unpacking and organizing deliveries, and mopping up kitchen spills to prevent accidents and injuries. You should also ensure that all food items are properly stored to prevent spoilage.
To be successful as a Commis Chef, you should demonstrate excellent organizational skills and ensure that all duties are completed in a timely manner. Ultimately, an outstanding Commis Chef should be able to follow all instructions and comply with food health and safety regulations.
Commis Chef Responsibilities:
- Accurately measuring meal ingredients for the Chef de Partie.
- Preparing meal ingredients, which includes seasoning of different meats as well as washing, peeling, and chopping vegetables and fruits.
- Preparing basic salads and sauces as directed by the Chef de Partie.
- Receiving deliveries and verifying that all ordered items have been delivered and are of good quality.
- Taking inventory of restaurant supplies and notifying the supervisor of low or depleted supplies.
- Discarding all expired and spoiled food items stored in the stock rooms, refrigerators, and freezers.
- Performing basic cleaning duties and ensuring that work stations are properly sanitized.
- Plating and presenting meal items as per the Chef de Partie’s instructions.
Commis Chef Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Associate’s degree, diploma, or certification in Culinary Arts is advantageous.
- A food handler's license.
- Proven commercial kitchen experience.
- Sound knowledge of food health and safety regulations.
- The ability to stand for extended periods.
- The ability to work under pressure.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Effective communication skills.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources