A Prep Cook is responsible for the preparation of ingredients and stations used in the cooking process, as well as maintaining the kitchen and ensuring it is clean and sanitized. A Prep Cook is also known as a Food Preparation Worker.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Prep Cook Job Description Template
We are looking for a hard-working Prep Cook to be responsible for setting up workstations in the kitchen and preparing ingredients for the cooking process. The Prep Cook performs basic cooking duties, monitors stock levels, and takes on culinary tasks as they arise.
To be a successful Prep Cook, you should understand and be willing to comply with food and sanitation guidelines and regulations, be quick and diligent, and willing to improve on the job. You should be able to follow instructions and work in a fast-paced environment.
Prep Cook Responsibilities:
- Setting up and sanitizing work stations.
- Following prep lists created by chefs.
- Measuring ingredients and seasonings, and preparing cooking ingredients such as soup stock to be used in the cooking process.
- Preparing simple dishes, such as entrees or salads.
- Ensuring all food items are properly stored and easily accessible.
- Assisting chefs in preparing food and attending to any culinary tasks that arise.
- Distributing plates to wait staff to be served, cleaning plates for dish washing, and preparing take away packages for customers.
- Supervising food and cooling room temperatures.
- Accepting or rejecting ingredients from suppliers.
- Maintaining a clean, orderly, and sanitized kitchen.
- Preparing drinks and cocktails according to the chef's specifications.
Prep Cook Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Culinary school training would be advantageous.
- Experience as a prep cook may be advantageous.
- Manual dexterity to operate cooking tools such as knives.
- Strong team working and communication skills.
- Physical endurance to work long shifts in a busy environment.
- Flexibility to work shifts, weekends, nights, and holidays.
- Ability to work in stressful, fast-paced environment.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources