A Sous Chef is responsible for planning and managing food preparation in restaurant kitchens. Known as the assistant to the head chef or the head chef’s second in command, these skilled individuals perform a range of duties including planning menus, training new staff, and recording inventory.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Sous Chef Job Description Template:
Our restaurant is searching for a creative and motivated Sous Chef to join our talented kitchen team. In this position, you will act as the second in command in our kitchen, following and enforcing our Executive Chef’s requirements and guidelines. Our ideal candidate is a creative professional who is willing to participate in creating delicious seasonal menus and meal designs.
Your duties will include recruiting new employees, responding to customer issues, and developing new menu options. You should have excellent communication skills with in-depth knowledge of several cooking methods, ingredients, equipment and processes.
- Develop new menu options based on seasonal changes and customer demand.
- Assist with the preparation and planning of meal designs.
- Ensure that kitchen activities operate in a timely manner.
- Resolve customer problems and concerns personally.
- Monitor and record inventory, and if necessary, order new supplies.
- Provide support to junior kitchen employees with various tasks including line cooking, food preparation, and dish plating.
- Recruit and train new kitchen employees to meet restaurant and kitchen standards.
- Create schedules for kitchen employees and evaluate their performance.
- Adhere to and implement sanitation regulations and safety regulations.
- Manage the kitchen team in the executive chef's absence.
- Bachelor’s degree in Culinary Science or relevant field.
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in a similar role.
- Strong knowledge of cooking methods, kitchen equipment, and best practices.
- Good understanding of MS Office and restaurant software programs.
- Teamwork-oriented with outstanding leadership abilities.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.