An Executive Chef oversees the daily operations of restaurant and hotel kitchens. This may include hiring, training and overseeing kitchen staff, and ensuring a high-quality, cost-effective product. Also known as Chef Manager or Head Chef.
Executive Chef Job Description Template
We are looking to hire a commendable Executive Chef to manage our kitchen staff and to resolve kitchen issues swiftly. The Executive Chef attracts and retains staff, maintains a cooperative relationship with team members, optimizes staff productivity and serves as replacement in team members' absence. You will train staff to use new recipes, cooking techniques and equipment, and oversee cooks performing food preparation. You will oversee delivery of food supplies, prepare special dishes and supervise overall kitchen operation during dinner service.
To ensure success you will ensure your team delivers high-quality, cost-effective dishes promptly. Top candidates are creative, service-oriented and level-headed.
Executive Chef Responsibilities:
- Ensuring promptness, freshness and quality of dishes.
- Coordinating cooks' tasks.
- Implementing hygiene policies and examining equipment for cleanliness.
- Designing new recipes, planning menus and selecting plate presentation.
- Reviewing staffing levels to meet service, operational and financial objectives.
- Hiring and training kitchen staff, such as cooks, food preparation workers and dishwashers.
- Performing administrative tasks, taking stock of food and equipment supplies, and doing purchase orders.
- Setting and monitoring performance standards for staff.
- Obtaining feedback on food and service quality, and handling customer problems and complaints.
Executive Chef Requirements:
- 2+ years culinary education.
- 5+ years experience in similar position.
- Advanced knowledge of food profession principles and practices.
- Proficient knowledge of human resources management.
- Excellent knowledge of BOH systems, ordering and inventory.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Available to work on call, shifts, after hours, over weekends and on public holidays.