Choreographers create dance routines for a variety of performers. They may work in theatre, film, music, or any environment where dancers are found. Choreographers usually have extensive dancing skill and experience, and frequently collaborate with lighting and costume departments, as well as the Creative Director.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Choreographer Job Description Template
We are searching for a disciplined, reliable Choreographer to join our company. The Choreographer’s responsibilities include working alongside the Director, attending auditions and rehearsals on schedule, collaborating with music, design, and costume departments, and providing training and support to all dancers. You should be deadline-driven and have superb attention to detail.
To be successful as a Choreographer, you should be able to gauge what looks great to an audience and also guide dancers as they perfect your routines. Outstanding Choreographers are willing to work long, grueling hours, and demonstrate patience with dancers.
- Understanding specifications as well as limitations of the project, and collaborating with the Director, as well as lighting, music, and costume departments to ensure dance routines are completed to a high standard.
- Creating dance steps that fit with the mood, music, theme, and that are audience-appropriate.
- Supporting, guiding, and explaining all steps and formations to dancers.
- Ensuring studio or venue is available for rehearsal and that dancers have been notified in a timely manner.
- Conducting research by watching dance shows, attending performances, and reading up on different routines.
- Attending shows and events to gain new ideas and network with others.
- Notifying the Director and other stakeholders about potential issues, and drawing up contingency plans.
- Scheduling one-on-one sessions and providing extra support where required.
- Showing up on time for all rehearsals, performances, and meetings.
- Handling various administrative duties and paperwork.
- High school diploma.
- Degree in Fine Arts or similar might be advantageous.
- Extensive dancing skill and experience.
- Passion for dance and working with other creatives.
- Strong interpretive and creative thinking skills.
- Excellent attention to detail, time management skills, and work ethic.
- Superb interpersonal, collaborative, and communication abilities.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources