Child Protective Investigator Job Description Template
We are seeking a skilled child protective investigator to review allegations of child neglect and abuse. In this role, you will be required to inspect children's living environments, conduct interviews with family members and neighbors, and gather and document evidence for use in criminal trials.
To ensure success as a child protective investigator, you should be compassionate and empathetic, and be able to perform in distressing situations. An outstanding child protective investigator should be able to pick up on subtle telltale signs of abuse and have excellent interviewing and investigative techniques.
Child Protective Investigator Responsibilities:
- Screening calls and reports of child abuse and neglect and logging case details.
- Investigating claims of neglect and abuse by conducting interviews, inspections, and monitoring suspects.
- Documenting all findings and generating case reports.
- Reporting instances of neglect, abuse, and abandonment to law enforcement or the relevant child protective service.
- Assisting in relocating victims to safe homes or institutions.
- Collaborating with social workers, psychologists, lawyers, and law enforcement officers to develop support and intervention strategies.
- Performing follow-up investigations of cases and conducting abuse risk and safety assessments.
- Updating and maintaining all victim and offender databases.
- Testifying in court and presenting all evidence and investigative documents.
Child Protective Investigator Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in criminal justice, social service, forensic science, or similar.
- State child welfare certification.
- A minimum of two years' experience as a child protective investigator or similar.
- Valid driver's license and own transport.
- Proficiency in MS Office, protective service databases, and case management software.
- Sound knowledge of investigative and interrogation techniques.
- Excellent judgment and the ability to navigate stressful situations.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication abilities.
- Willingness to respond to emergencies at all hours, including weekends and holidays.