Caseworkers (also known as Social Workers) assist and counsel disadvantaged individuals or families, for example children from troubled homes, individuals with serious illnesses, or senior citizens. They are employed by government agencies or non-profit organizations.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Caseworker Job Description
We are looking for a Caseworker to help individuals in at-risk communities. You will be responsible for making regular home visits and assessing and reporting on the needs of families that you visit. In this role, you will be working with victims of child abuse, neglect, domestic violence, people suffering from physical or mental illness, or community members dealing with financial hardship.
To be successful in this role, you must be empathetic, but also be able to set boundaries. You will need to listen actively and ask pertinent questions. You will also have strong communication and persuasion skills.
- Assessing cases and compiling case reports containing relevant information.
- Ensuring that case reports are kept up to date.
- Providing support, guidance and counsel to families in need.
- Making referrals or introductions to other agencies.
- Scheduling and escorting individuals to appointments with legal aid workers, counselors, doctors, etc.
- Monitoring visits between at-risk or fragile children and family members.
- Motivating individuals to participate in rehabilitation programs.
- Reporting abuse.
- Bachelor’s degree in social work.
- A master’s degree in social work may be desired.
- State licensure or professional registration with a government body may be required.
- A valid driver’s license.
- Basic computer skills.
- Must be socially perceptive to work with individuals who have difficulty expressing their needs.
- Knowledge of crisis-intervention methodologies.
- Must be organized and practical.
- Proven coordination skills to connect individuals/families with relevant services.
- Ability to compromise, negotiate and work well with others.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources