Chiefs of Police oversee the planning, assigning, and management of activities of the patrol unit. Chiefs of Police coordinate patrol, crime prevention, and detective operations.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Chief of Police Job Description Template
We are looking for a diligent Chief of Police to oversee and supervise the activities of the patrol unit. The responsibilities of a Chief of Police include coordinating operations, managing members of the department, and inter-departmental training.
To be successful as a Chief of Police, you should work well independently, possess solid knowledge of federal laws and policies, and strong verbal and written communication skills. Ultimately, a top-notch Chief of Police should demonstrate excellent command police methods and practices as well as the ability to deal with the public effectively.
Chief of Police Responsibilities:
- Conducting the planning and assignment of programs and police activities.
- Preparing and maintaining records and reports.
- Managing subordinates and investigations.
- Exercising judgment on the day to day operations.
- Developing policies and regulations.
- Planning budgets for the police department.
- Designing crime prevention programs.
Chief of Police Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice or a related field.
- Extensive experience working in the police department.
- Solid knowledge of police methods and practices.
- Excellent knowledge of federal laws and regulations.
- Outstanding public speaking abilities.
- Be an analytical thinker.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources