Police Sergeant Job Description Template
We are looking for a dynamic police sergeant to assume the command of daily operations in the absence of the lieutenant and supervise police officers and department employees in the fulfillment of their daily duties. The police sergeant's responsibilities, in addition to the duties of a police officer, include the performance of administrative staff duties, briefing and training staff with regard to new developments, regulations, and techniques, conducting performance evaluations, and enforcing agency policies and regulations.
To be successful as a police sergeant you should be able to perform a broad range of supervisory responsibilities and establish a relationship of trust among the members of your department. An outstanding police sergeant should be able to lead by example and confidently assume command when necessary.
Police Sergeant Responsibilities:
- Supervising and guiding subordinate staff in the performance of their duties.
- Assisting with shift briefings, training, and performance evaluations.
- Handling personnel issues and investigating allegations of misconduct.
- Educating staff about regulatory changes and new police technology or methods.
- Preparing reports, maintaining logs, and ensuring the upkeep of departmental records.
- Cooperating with legal and law enforcement stakeholders and testifying in court as required.
- Performing the duties of a police officer and assisting with special projects.
- Reviewing police documents and conducting inspections of personnel and equipment.
- Enforcing strict adherence to policies and procedures.
- Participating in community activities and public presentations.
Police Sergeant Requirements:
- High school diploma/GED required.
- Graduation from an accredited law enforcement academy.
- 3+ years of police experience.
- Degree in criminal justice or a related field preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and data entry software.
- Working knowledge of laws, regulations, police methods, procedures, and techniques.
- Strong critical thinking skills.
- Able to solve complex problems.
- Excellent management and leadership skills.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
- Conflict resolution and decision-making skills.