Also referred to as nursing sisters, Charge Nurses are in charge of a specific ward at a healthcare facility or hospital. Aside from caring for patients, they supervise staff and ensure that everything runs smoothly during their shift.
Charge Nurse Job Description Template
We are seeking a motivated Charge Nurse with excellent leadership and communication skills. As a successful candidate, you will provide assistance and care for patients, supervise nursing staff, offer guidance and support, maintain a clean and safe working environment, and ensure that all operational tasks are completed efficiently and on time.
To excel in this role, you will need to be a licensed nursing professional with at least three years of experience in a healthcare environment. You should enjoy working with people, have excellent organizational skills and the ability to work under pressure.
Charge Nurse Responsibilities
- Record patients’ medical records and monitor vital signs.
- Supervising nursing staff and monitoring their needs.
- Coordinating daily administrative duties, including schedules, nursing assignments and patient care.
- Overseeing patient admissions, transfers and discharges.
- Mentoring and training new staff and providing support and guidance to all staff members.
- Monitoring medical charts and providing compassionate care and assistance to patients and families.
- Liaising with doctors and administrators and communicating any protocol changes to staff.
- Ensuring compliance with all health and safety regulations.
- Recording and maintaining accurate reports.
- Identifying issues or emergencies and responding in a calm and efficient manner.
Charge Nurse Requirements
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing.
- Licensed as a Registered Nurse.
- Further certification may be required.
- Prior experience in a healthcare facility required.
- Excellent leadership, communication and organizational skills.
- Compassionate with sound judgement and problem-solving skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and medical software systems.
- Ability to handle stress and work shifts.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources