Acute Care Nurse Practitioners examine, diagnose, and treat patients with serious illnesses or injuries. They assess patient conditions, educate patients and family members about medical options, prescribe medications and treatments, and perform other duties to support patients.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Job Description Template
We are looking for a caring, talented Acute Care Nurse Practitioner to care for our patients who are dealing with critical conditions. The Acute Care Nurse Practitioner may work in inpatient or outpatient care and will speak with our patients about their conditions, order and interpret diagnostic tests, and work with patients, families, and physicians to establish care plans. You should be a skilled nurse practitioner with comprehensive knowledge of acute conditions, diagnostics, and treatments.
To succeed as an Acute Care Nurse Practitioner, you should be focused on providing high-quality care and support to patients and families. You should be sympathetic, analytical, and knowledgeable.
Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Responsibilities:
- Speaking with patients to better understand their concerns, needs, conditions, and medical histories.
- Admitting, discharging, and doing scheduled rounds to check on patients.
- Performing examinations, ordering and interpreting diagnostic tests, and going over results with patients or the physician, if necessary.
- Establishing care or condition management plans, including prescribing medications or other treatments.
- Educating the patient and family members about medical conditions and courses of action.
- Keeping records regarding patient history, condition, treatments, and progress.
- Alerting physicians when conditions worsen or if abnormalities arise.
- Participate in the On-Call program, which may include working nights, holidays, and weekends.
Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Requirements:
- Master’s degree or Doctorate and a state license.
- Experience, additional certifications, or fluency in a second language may be preferred.
- Knowledge of acute conditions and treatments.
- Understanding of diagnostic tests and ability to interpret test results.
- Availability to work flexible hours, including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, analytical, interpersonal, and active listening skills.
- Strong computer and data entry skills.
- Alert, through, reliable, and calm under stress.
- Organized and attentive, especially when multitasking under pressure.
- Passionate and committed to providing high quality, sympathetic care, and service to patients.