Bar Backs perform tasks to support the Bartender and other staff members. They help with opening and closing duties, prepare and serve drinks, stock items, assist in the reordering process, and perform minor repairs.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Bar Back Job Description Template
We are looking for an observant, efficient Bar Back who can work with other staff members to ensure that our customers receive prompt, seamless service. The Bar Back will assist in cleaning the bar, preparing garnishes, ensuring the bar is well stocked with napkins, straws, glassware, garnishes, and all other necessities, and taking on other duties to support the Bartender and ensure that the bar operates smoothly. You should be knowledgeable about menu items, attentive, and focused on providing the best possible service in a fast-paced environment.
To be a successful Bar Back, you should be passionate about working as part of a team to deliver excellent drinks and service to customers. You should be efficient, reliable, and perceptive with excellent communication and time management skills.
Bar Back Responsibilities:
- Assisting with opening and closing duties, such restocking the bar with garnishes, straws, and napkins, ensuring that Bartenders have clean towels, glassware, etc.
- Ensuring bar is well-stocked with ice, liquor, wine, and beer.
- Checking taps and appliances to confirm that they are working properly, making minor repairs or changing out kegs, if needed.
- Keeping the bar clean by wiping down surfaces, sweeping and mopping, removing soiled glassware, scrubbing coolers and storage areas, and emptying trash receptacles.
- Learning about menu items and memorizing cocktail recipes.
- Taking orders, preparing drinks, bussing tables, opening tabs, and processing payments especially during peak hours.
- Speaking to customers, answering questions, handling complaints.
- Maintain records and report levels of usage to assist in reordering process and ensuring that delivered items are stored properly.
Bar Back Requirements:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- More experience, education, training, or certifications may be preferred.
- Minimum age to serve alcohol.
- Courteous, friendly personality and professional appearance.
- Knowledge of menu items, including beers, wines, cocktails, and liquors.
- Basic math and computer skills.
- Strong problem solving, communication, and interpersonal skills, ability to handle tense situations with coworkers and customers calmly and rationally.
- Observant and thorough.
- Responsible, punctual.
- Ability to meet physical and scheduling demands of the position, including, walking, standing, or lifting heavy items for extended periods and working nights, weekends, and holidays.
Bar Back FAQ:
What is a barback position?
A barback, or bar back, supports other staff members by handling basic tasks, such as taking and delivering orders, preparing beverages, and cleaning or making basic repairs. Add your barback duties to our full barback position description to get a customized, descriptive job listing.
Is this barback description customizable?
When you advertise a bar back job, your post should provide information about what that position is like at your company. Feel free to expand on the barback duties and responsibilities or add to the barback job requirements to get a bar back position description that meets your needs.
What should I include in my barback position description?
When you post a bar back job, you should include details about your company and the skills, qualities, and qualifications you’re looking for in your next hire. Add your ideas to our bar back job description template and to create a list of bar back duties and responsibilities that reflects your company’s needs.
Do you have interview questions for bar backs?
We have interview questions to go with all of our job descriptions.
After you have created a bar back job description, take a look at our barback interview questions.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources