Assistant Professor Job Description Template
We are searching for a well-organized, trustworthy assistant professor to join our excellent faculty. The assistant professor’s responsibilities include teaching a requisite number of classes, providing guidance and supervision to graduate students, participating in departmental meetings, and providing academic support to Professors and other faculty members. You should be able to pace your lessons and publish articles regularly.
To be successful as an assistant professor, you should thrive in a fast-paced, highly competitive environment and be able to respond to criticism maturely. Outstanding candidates are able to learn from senior staff as well as students and are constantly expanding their subject knowledge.
Assistant Professor Responsibilities:
- Assisting with various departmental duties and providing academic support to Professors and other staff.
- Recruiting, training, and mentoring new TAs and other junior staff.
- Conducting research and publishing papers in academic journals.
- Representing the university at conferences and delivering presentations when necessary.
- Teaching and supervising undergraduate and graduate students.
- Providing demonstrations and supervising experiments and investigations.
- Answering questions in class or via email or telephone.
- Providing Professors and Department Heads with feedback on student progress.
- Writing proposals to secure funding for research.
- Attending faculty and departmental meetings and voicing concerns or providing suggestions for improvement.
Assistant Professor Requirements:
- Ph.D. in the relevant academic discipline.
- Teaching experience in a university setting.
- Published works would be advantageous.
- Strong analytical, observational, and problem-solving skills.
- A good record of attending conferences and academic events.
- Excellent research, writing, and interpersonal skills.
- A passion for teaching and engaging with students.
- Patience, understanding, and willingness to help.