Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor Job Description Template
We are looking for a committed vocational rehabilitation counselor to determine which employment opportunities may suit clients' abilities the best. In this role, your duties will include determining clients' preparedness to enter the labor market, developing vocational rehabilitation plans, and assisting clients to achieve their employment goals.
To ensure success, vocational rehabilitation counselors should exhibit exceptional insight into clients' vocational challenges and have demonstrable vocational rehabilitation experience. An accomplished candidate will be someone who can accurately determine clients' strengths and goals, and facilitate their successful entry into the labor market.
Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor Responsibilities:
- Evaluating clients’ mental health, abilities, competencies, interests, experience, and education.
- Creating rehabilitation plans for clients taking into account individual strengths.
- Helping clients adapt to vocational challenges, including those acquired later in life.
- Creating Individual Plans for Employment (IPEs) in collaboration with physicians, physical therapists, and psychologists.
- Facilitating sessions with family members and caregivers to better understand and support clients’ employment goals.
- Consulting with employers and other stakeholders to facilitate access to employment.
- Locating resources such as computer software, mobility aids, or community support.
- Identifying vocational training opportunities and assisting clients with job applications.
- Monitoring, documenting, and reporting progress, as well as changing rehabilitation plans accordingly.
- Keeping informed of advancements in vocational rehabilitation therapy.
Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor Requirements:
- CACREP-accredited master's degree in vocational or rehabilitation counseling.
- State-prescribed licensing and registration as a rehabilitation counselor.
- Extensive experience with psychological and physical disabilities, as well as underlying health conditions.
- Proficiency in electronic medical record software, such as CounSol and Cliniko.
- Experience in collaborating on treatment plans with healthcare professionals and other stakeholders.
- Advanced ability to perform psychological and vocational assessments and interpret diagnostic data.
- Ability to keep abreast of advancements in the field, healthcare regulations, and applicable labor laws.
- Excellent recordkeeping and communication skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and a caring nature.