Virologist Job Description Template
We are looking for a virologist to study the growth, development, structure, and characteristics of different viruses. You will investigate the impact these viruses have on human beings, animals, and other organic matter.
Successful virologists are able to collaborate with other medical staff in order to perform their duties effectively.
- Collecting samples for study.
- Employing highly specialized serological and molecular techniques in order to study viruses.
- Identifying different viruses and their properties, through microscopic examination.
- Observing the effect viruses have on organic matter by studying the impact of the viral infection on living tissues of humans and animals.
- Performing chemical analyses on substances released by viruses when they interact with organic matter, such as acids, enzymes, and alcohol secretions.
- Determining how viral diseases like HIV, SARS, and hepatitis spread through populations.
- Assisting in vaccine development.
- Writing up technical reports and creating presentations for the communication of research results to interested parties.
- Assisting institutions like the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in preventing and controlling outbreaks of viral infections.
- Providing professional opinions and advice on treatment plans and the way to control outbreaks.
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, chemistry, or a related field.
- Doctor of Medicine (MD) degree or a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree with training in virology, molecular virology, viral oncology, or immunology.
- 3 to 5 years’ postdoctoral research experience in the field.
- Working knowledge of scientific and medical software such as BD CellQuest, and Protein Explorer.
- Experience using laboratory equipment and tools, including air samplers or collectors, infrared spectrometers, analyzing equipment, and sterilizing equipment.
- Experience collecting and analyzing large volumes of data.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Exceptional problem-solving skills.
- Ability to multitask and work to tight deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.