Unit Clerk Job Description Template
We are searching for a friendly and organized unit clerk to join our medical team. As a unit clerk, you will be required to manage the phone desk, enter data for the admission and discharge of patients, ensure that all records are kept up to date, book appointments for patients, and order supplies.
To be successful as a unit clerk, you should ensure that the medical unit runs smoothly, that health protocols are adhered to, and that high levels of patient confidentiality are maintained at all times. An excellent unit clerk should keep highly organized patient records and remain calm in stressful situations.
Unit Clerk Responsibilities:
- Greeting patients and visitors and attending to their queries.
- Answering, screening, and routing incoming calls.
- Managing patient appointments, admissions, and discharges.
- Capturing patient information into the database and performing back-ups.
- Transferring patients' medical information from the nurses' records to patients' medical records.
- Referring inquiries to nurses and doctors.
- Ensuring the smooth operation of the unit by adhering to policies and procedures and reporting on changes that have to be made.
- Checking unit supplies, anticipating inventory requirements, placing orders, and overseeing receipt of the supplies.
- Maintaining a safe and hygienic environment by adhering to infection-control regulations.
- Reporting orders given by the doctor relating to patients' dietary and medication requirements.
Unit Clerk Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Health unit coordinator diploma preferred.
- Good computer skills with programs, such as MS Office and Google Suite.
- Advanced knowledge of medical terminology.
- A pleasant and audible telephone manner.
- Good understanding of office procedures and equipment.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- The ability to remain calm in a high-stress environment.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.