Also called Funeral Directors, Undertakers handle all funeral arrangements for the family of the deceased. They manage legal documents, organize memorial services, prepare the body, coordinate pallbearers, and arrange transport to burial sites. Undertakers also perform admin duties and provide comfort to mourners.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Undertaker Job Description Template
We are searching for a detail-oriented and empathetic Undertaker to join our team. The Undertaker’s responsibilities include consulting with families, coordinating funerals and cremations, sourcing flowers and caskets, posting obituary notices, and contacting relevant religious officials. Wherever possible, you should minimize the family’s stress and offer support.
To be successful as an Undertaker, you should be able to multitask under stressful circumstances and carry out all duties while remaining sensitive towards the family in mourning. Outstanding candidates are courageous, humble, and reliable.
- Providing support to clients while explaining service funeral packages and options.
- Preparing the body, which may include embalming and applying mortuary cosmetics.
- Arranging a casket, flowers, transport to the burial site, and also contacting cemeteries to organize the opening and closing of graves.
- Contacting religious officials, arranging services, and notifying mourners of the times and venues.
- Gathering information from family members and handling all legal documents.
- Carefully wording and posting obituaries.
- Ensuring all flowers and fixtures are properly set out at the funeral and that family members and friends are welcomed and ushered to their seats.
- Confirming funeral details with family members and developing a funeral program.
- Arranging food and drink for all mourners, and answering any questions or queries politely.
- Performing admin tasks like updating records and client accounts, and purchasing various supplies.
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in Mortuary Science or a related field.
- An Embalmer’s license may be required.
- A completed apprenticeship.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and business skills.
- Strong ethical and moral values.
- Multitasking abilities and compassion.
- Good time management.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources