A Mortician prepares deceased people for wakes, funerals and interment by embalming, dressing, cosmetically enhancing and casketing them. In smaller funeral homes a funeral director, who owns or manages a funeral home, performs the duties of a Mortician. Also known as Embalmer or Undertaker.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Mortician Job Description Template
We are looking to hire an organized Mortician to assist clients with making funeral arrangements, and to perform embalming services. The Mortician will provide clients with counsel and comfort, and refer them to grief counselors. You will assist with transporting the deceased to the funeral home, and oversee their preparation and care by embalming, dressing and cosmetically enhancing them. You will assist clients with selecting caskets, pallbearers and religious leaders.
To be successful in this position you need to find a balance between being stoic and empathetic. Top applicants are organized, skilled and meticulous.
- Meeting with clients to explain services, and to make funeral, cremation and interment arrangements.
- Providing clients with pricing information and preparing contracts.
- Arranging transport of deceased people to funeral home.
- Obtaining documents and permits related to embalming and funerals from various sources.
- Referring clients to reputable grief counselors.
- Ensuring cleanliness of equipment and preparation room.
- Embalming, dressing, cosmetically enhancing and casketing deceased people.
- Arranging flowers, religious leaders and pallbearers for funeral.
- Providing wake, graveside, funeral and interment services.
- Driving hearse as needed.
- Associate’s degree in mortuary science or embalming.
- Valid state licensure as Funeral Director and Embalmer.
- 2+ years work experience as Mortician.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Proficient knowledge of various religions, cultures and customs.
- Outstanding communication skills.
- Excellent people skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to focus for extended periods.
- Physically strong and dexterous.