Also known as Medical Examiners, a Coroner's primary duty is to confirm, certify, and determine the cause of death of a person in a particular jurisdiction. They may also order an inquest into the cause of death if foul play is suspected. Depending on the state, Coroners are either elected public officials or qualified medical doctors.
Coroner Job Description Template
We are looking to hire an organized and experienced Coroner. You will oversee the examination of deceased individuals within our jurisdiction, determine the cause of death of a deceased person or persons, complete death certificates, notify family members, maintain death records, and conduct inquests if a death is considered to be sudden, unnatural, or violent. Other duties may include supervising staff while conducting autopsies, testifying at court trials, and liaising with law enforcement.
A successful applicant will display attention to detail, integrity, diligence, and a genuine concern for others.
- Conduct autopsies and medico-legal examinations or supervise medical examiners responsible for performing these duties.
- Determine the cause, manner, and time of death of a deceased individual.
- Establish the identity of the deceased.
- Certify deaths and complete death certificates, including the cause and manner of death.
- Record and preserve any personal objects or items that may be related to the cause of death.
- Notify next of kin.
- Remove or supervise the removal of bodies using the appropriate equipment, and arrange transportation to morgues.
- Testify at inquests, hearings, or court trials as required.
- Complete and maintain reports and death certificates.
- Confer with public health officials, doctors, and law enforcement officers.
- Bachelor's Degree in Law, Medicine, or related field.
- Be a qualified barrister, solicitor, or public official (depending on state), or a licensed medical doctor.
- Prior experience may be preferred.
- Knowledge of local laws and legal regulations.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong administration skills.
- Computer skills.
- Analytical and detail-oriented.