Tractor-trailer Truck Drivers drive tractor-trailer combination trucks in and between cities and over long distances to deliver products, livestock, or materials. They supervise freight loading and unloading, secure the freight to prevent damage, and ensure that freight weight limits are not exceeded. They are also required to maintain trip logs.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Tractor-trailer Truck Driver Job Description Template
We are looking for a dedicated Tractor-trailer Truck Driver to transport freight across the country's road networks. Your duties will include careful planning of the routes, ensuring the safe and timeous delivery of our freight, and maintaining a log book with trip details. You are also required to perform minor maintenance work on the truck and trailer.
To be successful as a Tractor-trailer Truck Driver, you should exhibit extensive experience in driving trucks across long distances and the ability to remain alert over extended periods. Ultimately, an outstanding Tractor-trailer Truck Driver is dedicated to delivering freight on time and in the same condition that it was received in.
Tractor-trailer Truck Driver Responsibilities:
- Safely delivering freight at various locations, including over long distances.
- Planning the most efficient routes and delivering freight on time.
- Performing truck and trailer inspections before departure to ensure good running order.
- Inventorizing loads and documenting the condition of the freight before departure.
- Assisting in the loading and unloading of freight, and obtaining the client's signature on delivery.
- Securing the freight in place before departure and monitoring its safe distribution throughout the trip.
- Performing service checks on tire pressure, oil, and fluid levels, as well as minor repairs, when required.
- Logging the hours driven, rest stop durations, distances covered, as well as all fuel, repair, and toll expenses.
- Reporting any delays due to road conditions, accidents, or breakdowns to management.
- Adhering to federal and state trucking rules and regulations, including mandatory rest periods, weight restrictions, and weight adjustments.
Tractor-trailer Truck Driver Requirements:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Applicable Commercial Driver's License (CDL).
- Certificate of Completion of a professional truck driving course preferred.
- Extensive experience as a Tractor-trailer Truck Driver.
- An incident-free driving record, as well as solid knowledge of truck and trailer maintenance.
- Advanced knowledge of route planning, using both road maps and GPS devices.
- The ability to work long, irregular hours, and to remain alert and focused throughout.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Sound knowledge of federal and state laws that regulate the road freight transport industry.
- Excellent problem-solving and communication skills.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources