Technical Editor Job Description Template
We are looking for a detail-oriented individual to join our team as a technical editor. The responsibilities of the technical editor include reviewing the work of the technical writers, writing articles, designing templates and graphics, developing training manuals, and maintaining our online technical content.
To be a successful technical editor, you should have detailed knowledge of a variety of technical topics as well as experience with web coding and our editorial guidelines. Ultimately, a top-notch technical editor has excellent writing, editing, proofreading, and page composition skills.
Technical Editor Responsibilities:
- Working with researchers and developers to ensure document accuracy.
- Reviewing written technical documents for clarity, grammar, spelling, punctuation, content, and style.
- Making any necessary corrections to technical documents.
- Giving feedback and advice to technical writers.
- Ensuring that all written content meets our company's standards.
- Developing, communicating, and adhering to goals for content, workflow, and aim of writing.
- Creating templates for technical writers that are easy to apply and adapt.
- Conducting quality assurance on all printed documents, including brochures, advertisements, newsletters, marketing materials, etc.
- Maintaining the company website's technical content.
- Conforming to strict editing guidelines and security clearance protocols.
Technical Editor Requirements:
- A bachelor's degree in journalism, English, applied science, mathematics, engineering, or another related field.
- A Master's degree may be advantageous.
- Proven experience as a technical writer and in working with a variety of style guides.
- In-depth knowledge of technical concepts.
- Experience with desktop publishing, multimedia production, and online documentation software.
- Excellent computer and word processing skills.
- Strong writing, editing, proofreading, and page composition skills
- Experience with web coding and authoring systems, such as HTML or XML.
- Ability to adhere to deadlines and handle pressure.
- Strong attention to detail.