Technical designers work with fashion design teams and play an important role in turning ideas into finished products. They anticipate any design issues and liaise with designers and manufacturers to ensure garment specifications are adjusted accordingly and that the end result is a high-quality, marketable product.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Technical Designer Job Description Template
We are searching for a passionate and detail-oriented technical designer to join our style team. In this role, you will examine sketches and analyze design ideas to evaluate their feasibility, collaborate with designers, manufacturers, and vendors, and use your skill and expert eye to ensure that the best products are produced.
A successful technical designer will be passionate, fashion-forward, and possess great technical acumen. Ideal candidates should be deadline-driven, have a keen eye for detail, and demonstrate sound knowledge of industry-related software.
Technical Designer Responsibilities:
- Collaborating with designers, manufacturers, vendors, and clients to ensure that product specifications are viable.
- Analyzing designs and determining required resources and project deadlines.
- Implementing design changes and making contingency plans as necessary.
- Supervising technical and design teams.
- Visiting manufacturing sites and reporting back to senior management.
- Handling a range of admin duties.
- Establishing quality control standards.
- Ensuring all products are high-quality and that they conform to company standards and brand values.
- Evaluating prototypes and inspecting finished products to ensure that they are free from defects.
Technical Designer Requirements:
- Associate’s degree in fashion, technical design, or a related field.
- Bachelor’s degree is preferable.
- 3+ years’ experience for junior positions or 5+ years’ experience for senior roles.
- Practical experience with software like Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and CAD.
- Knowledge and experience with patternmaking.
- The ability to justify design changes.
- Strong negotiation and interpersonal skills.
- Deadline-driven and committed to quality.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources