Substitute paraprofessionals are education workers who assist licensed teachers with classwork and student administration. They record students' attendance, help teachers with lesson preparations, and provide teaching support. They work on a temporary basis, usually as replacements for fulltime paraprofessionals.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Substitute Paraprofessional Job Description Template
We are looking for an enthusiastic and resourceful substitute paraprofessional to provide temporarily teaching assistance. You will be reinforcing classwork, guiding activities under the supervision of a licensed teacher, and preparing teaching materials. You may also need to assist young students and those with special needs.
To ensure success as a substitute paraprofessional, you should possess knowledge of teaching practices and experience in a similar role. An outstanding substitute paraprofessional will be someone whose patient and student-centered approach enables all students to benefit from learning experiences.
Substitute Paraprofessional Responsibilities:
- Reinforcing lesson content by working with individual students or small groups of students.
- Co-teaching or teaching assigned lesson sections under supervision.
- Guiding students in classroom assignments and activities, both individually and in groups.
- Monitoring students' participation and progress and providing appropriate support.
- Engaging students in level-appropriate conversations to provide targeted assistance.
- Observing student behavior for signs of distress, anxiety, and discomfort, and facilitating suitable interventions.
- Assisting with classroom management, including protecting students from aggressive or disruptive behavior of others.
- Preparing teaching materials and equipment as per the class schedule.
- Assessing notebooks and assignments, as well as entering grades.
- Assisting young students and those with special needs with bathroom visits, meals, and general mobility.
Substitute Paraprofessional Requirements:
- A high school diploma or GED.
- Associate’s degree coursework relevant to the role preferred.
- Previous experience as a substitute paraprofessional in a similar role will be advantageous.
- Highly proficient in English.
- Knowledge of lesson planning, classroom management, and teaching methods.
- Experience with classroom technology and equipment.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills.
- Superb organizational and time management skills.
- Great collaboration skills.
- Ability to motivate, engage, and support students.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources