Speech Pathologist Job Description Template
We are looking for a skilled, sympathetic Speech Pathologist to provide quality care for our patients. The speech pathologist will perform screenings, assess patient condition, and design therapy and treatment plans to help the patient develop necessary speech skills. You should be caring and knowledgeable about speech-related conditions and therapies.
To succeed as a speech pathologist, you should be willing to alter treatment plans to better suit the individual needs of a diverse patient population. You should be caring, adaptable, analytical, and resourceful.
Speech Pathologist Responsibilities:
- Diagnosing, treating, and preventing speech, language, and swallowing disorders.
- Creating treatment and therapy plans to suit the individualized needs of a diverse population of patients.
- Performing screenings to detect voice or speech disorders.
- Educating patients and family members about speech disorders and causes, including disabilities and traumatic events.
- Keeping detailed records relating to patient conditions, care plans, therapies, and progress.
- Reporting progress and current status to appropriate parties, which may include family members, teachers, or medical professionals.
Speech Pathologist Requirements:
- Master’s degree in speech-language pathology.
- Valid state license or certification.
- Experience with certain conditions or working with specific age groups may be preferred.
- Strong understanding of speech-related conditions, causes, and treatments.
- Excellent coaching and verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency with computers, especially patient and healthcare databases.
- Attentive and caring with the ability to develop individualized education plans (IEPs).