Respiratory therapists assist patients who have breathing difficulties. These include chronic respiratory diseases, such as emphysema and asthma. Patients include infants with undeveloped lungs to adult patients with lung disease. They may also give emergency aid for a breathing problem, heart attack, drowning, and shock.
They may also be called a respiratory therapy technician.
Respiratory Therapist Job Description Template
Our facility is seeking to hire a licensed Respiratory Therapist to add to our ever-expanding staff of competent healthcare professionals. Duties will include setting up and operating devices such as therapeutic gas administration apparatus and mechanical ventilators, providing emergency care, such as external cardiac massage, artificial respiration, or assistance with cardiopulmonary resuscitation, and maintaining charts that contain patient identification and therapy information.
A degree in respiratory therapy from an accredited program or college and an RCP license are required for consideration. Strong knowledge of pulmonary function and pulmonary rehabilitation and experience with respiratory equipment are the keys to success in this role.
Respiratory Therapist Responsibilities:
- Monitoring patient physiological responses to therapy such as arterial blood gases, vital signs or blood chemistry, and lung function changes, and consulting with physicians if there are adverse reactions.
- Working as part of a team of health care professionals to manage patient care by assisting with medical procedures.
- Setting up and operating devices including therapeutic gas administration apparatus, mechanical ventilators, environmental control systems, and aerosol generators.
- Following specified parameters of treatment.
- Providing emergency care, such as external cardiac massage, artificial respiration, or assistance with cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
- Inspecting, testing, cleaning, and maintaining respiratory therapy equipment to ensure it is functioning safely and efficiently.
- Maintaining charts that contain patient identification and therapy information.
- Measuring arterial blood gases, reading prescriptions, lung capacity, and reviewing other information to assess patient condition.
- Relaying blood analysis results to a physician.
- Making emergency visits to resolve equipment problems when necessary.
- Ordering equipment repairs when necessary.
- Explaining health care treatment procedures to patients to gain cooperation.
- Checking pulmonary function in patients.
Respiratory Therapist Requirements:
- Completion of an accredited respiratory therapy program or technical college course for respiratory therapy.
- Registration or certification by the National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC).
- Current RCP license in the state of practice.
- Current RN or LPN license in the state of practice.
- Respiratory care, emergency care, and intensive care experience.
- Must possess a valid and current driver license and auto insurance.
- Current BLS and/or CPR certification from the American Heart Association or American Red Cross.
- Strong knowledge of pulmonary function and pulmonary rehabilitation.
- Experience with respiratory equipment.
Post a Respiratory Therapist job ad to 100+ free job boards with one submission