A Sommelier is a trained wine expert. Sommeliers usually work in restaurants providing their expertise to guests. The role of Sommeliers is to develop the menu, prepare food and wine pairings, and offer wine recommendations to guests.
When interviewing Sommeliers, the most suitable candidate should be knowledgeable of a variety of wines and their regions, demonstrate an understanding of the wine-making process, and possess superior interpersonal skills. Be wary of candidates who lack the ability to create food and wine pairings, and experience as a Sommelier or Wine Steward.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Interview Questions for Sommeliers:
1. Can you tell us about your previous position?
Reveals experience in hospitality.
2. What is the chemical composition of a white versus red oak wine?
Demonstrates knowledge of wine varietals.
3. Do you have a formal Sommelier certification?
Reveals education as a Sommelier.
4. What is your experience with French-style service?
Demonstrates hospitality industry knowledge.
5. What is your favorite wine region and why?
Reveals knowledge of wine regions and taste in wine.
Similar Interview Questions
Related Hiring Resources