Food Server Job Description Template
We are looking to recruit an enthusiastic food server to oversee, enhance, and ensure a pleasant dining experience for our guests. The food server will maintain a positive and respectful relationship with team members, engage with guests in a professional, dignified manner, and inform management of potential service and product issues before they arise. You will perform opening duties to prepare for service and closing duties at the end of your shift. You will employ sound judgment to establish whether to take guests’ food orders swiftly or to allow them time to relax.
To ensure success you will value our patrons as if they were guests in your home, and take pride in your work. Top candidates will be sincere, hospitable, and hard-working.
Food Server Responsibilities:
- Performing opening duties such as setting tables, polishing glasses, folding napkins, and replenishing condiments.
- Attending pre-shift and general meetings to update knowledge of special offers and stock-related issues, and to discuss service and product matters.
- Assisting management and hosts to meet, greet, and seat guests, and issuing them food and wine menus.
- Introducing yourself to guests and informing them of special offers and stock shortages before they select items off the menu.
- Ensuring beverages are served swiftly and replenished continuously.
- Ensuring accuracy when entering orders into the point of sale (POS) system.
- Following up on food and beverage orders with the back of house (BOH).
- Checking on guests to establish satisfaction with the product and overall experience, and providing management with feedback.
- Issuing guests with their check on request, and greeting and thanking them sincerely on departure.
- Performing closing duties such as sweeping and vacuuming, and preparing linens for collection by laundry service.
Food Server Requirements:
- 1+ years of work experience in an upmarket or high-volume restaurant.
- Completion of product knowledge training, and written and verbal exams.
- Proficient with maintaining a solid customer base.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Outstanding people skills.
- Well-groomed, professional appearance.
- Available to work shifts, extended hours, over weekends and holidays.
- Physically fit, agile, and dexterous.
- Ability to stand and walk for extended periods.
- Proficient time-management skills.