Research Psychologist Job Description Template
We are looking for a patient and enthusiastic research psychologist to design and execute protocols that provide insight into the human condition. To this end, the research psychologist will be required to meet with participants, collect and store data, and subsequently report on findings obtained. You should also aim to produce papers for publication in local and international journals.
To ensure success as a research psychologist, you should exhibit a meticulous, reflexive approach to work. Ultimately, a top-notch research psychologist will work to secure funding to support the department's research interests.
Research Psychologist Responsibilities:
- Surveying the literature to identify gaps in existing knowledge.
- Formulating appropriate research questions and hypotheses pertaining to the phenomena of interest.
- Selecting appropriate research designs and data analytic procedures.
- Scheduling data collection and meeting with participants.
- Appointing Research Assistants to assist with literature reviews, as well as data collection, coding, and analysis, if required.
- Supervising the research protocols of graduate students.
- Providing instruction on methods and techniques needed to conduct psychological research.
- Completing and submitting grant applications to obtain additional funding.
- Disseminating your findings at departmental workshops, academic conferences, and in appropriate journals.
- Ensuring consistent adherence to ethical guidelines governing the study of human and animal participants.
Research Psychologist Requirements:
- Master's degree in psychology or analogous field.
- Completion of, or significant progress towards, a doctorate in psychology is preferred.
- Registration as a research psychologist with the appropriate council, if applicable.
- Prior experience as a research psychologist.
- Thorough understanding and unwavering observation of relevant ethical guidelines.
- First-author publications in appropriate peer-reviewed journals.
- Expert proficiency in pertinent research designs and data analytic techniques.
- Willingness to teach graduate-level courses in psychological research, if required.
- Ability to supervise graduate-level research.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.