Ramp Agents, also known as baggage handlers or fleet service agents, are employed at airports and work within a larger team of airport ramp agents. They provide under-wing services to aircraft, act as marshals, set up and operate baggage and cargo management equipment, and adhere to strict occupational safety regulations.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Ramp Agent Job Description Template
We are looking for a diligent Ramp Agent to join our team. You will play an important role in ensuring that flights run on time by maintaining detailed records of shipped goods, moving baggage and cargo from aircraft, and guiding aircraft to and from their gates.
To be successful as a Ramp Agent you must work diligently to ensure that aircraft are ready for their flights by providing efficient ground support services and effectively operating specialist ground servicing and support equipment, such as aircraft stair units, baggage carts, belt loaders, and baggage tugs.
Ramp Agent Responsibilities:
- Guiding aircraft to and from gates and backing them up for take-off.
- Parking arriving and departing aircraft.
- Placing chocks and cones around aircraft.
- Loading and unloading arriving and departing aircraft cargo, baggage, and mail onto carts and/or dollies.
- Providing special handling of baggage, cargo, and mail, as required.
- Collecting, loading, and unloading live animals and dangerous goods on and off aircraft, when necessary.
- Delivering passenger baggage to the claim area and unloading baggage onto the conveyor system.
- Performing cabin maintenance and cleaning services, including restocking the aircraft.
- Operating ground support equipment, including aircraft stair units, container loaders, aircraft ground power units, water/lavatory service trucks, aircraft de-icing units, cargo dollies, and passenger vans, when necessary.
- Reporting all equipment malfunctions to the appropriate supervisor/manager.
- Complying with all airport authority and carrier security requirements, including adhering to Swissport Standard Operating Procedures.
Ramp Agent Requirements:
- High school diploma, preferred.
- Previous experience working in an aviation environment, desired.
- Successful completion of a ramp services training program.
- Valid driver’s license.
- U.S. Customs Seal for access to CBP security areas.
- Knowledge of proper lifting techniques when handling heavy objects.
- Experience working with live animals and dangerous goods.
- Working knowledge of airport safety procedures.
- Strong teamwork and communication skills.
- Great physical fitness and strength.
- Time management skills.
- Ability to endure tough working conditions.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources