Air Traffic Controllers use technology to monitor and communicate potential hazards and other helpful information to pilots in an effort to minimize delays and ensure the safety of travelers. They monitor and report changes in wind and weather, provide takeoff and landing instructions, and help regulate activity on the ground and in their designated airspace.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Air Traffic Controller Job Description Template
We are searching for an attentive Air Traffic Controller who excels at multitasking under stress. The Air Traffic Controller will maintain communications with aircraft and other air traffic centers, monitor changes in weather conditions, wind, and visibility, and provide instructions to pilots regarding runway availability and clearance for takeoff or landing. You should be alert and focused with strong communication skills.
To succeed as an Air Traffic Controllers, you should be focused on ensuring the safety of aircraft and travelers as the enter and exit your airspace. You should be detail-oriented, decisive, and responsive.
Air Traffic Controller Responsibilities:
- Monitoring and regulating ground and air traffic.
- Providing useful information related to weather, wind, flight paths, possible delays, and runway openings and closures.
- Maintaining communication with other air traffic control centers, pilots, and airport staff members to ensure safety, relate estimated arrival times, and prevent or respond to emergency situations.
- Inspecting, repairing, and utilizing maps, reports, radios, telephones, computers, radar, and other technologies to monitor, analyze, and adapt to changes in conditions.
- Alerting response teams in the event of safety concerns or emergencies.
- Assisting in searches for missing aircraft.
- Compiling and analyzing data and reports to develop more effective flight plans and prevent delays.
Air Traffic Controller Requirements:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Ability to pass a thorough background check and meet age, citizenship, and physical requirements.
- A combination of more education or experience may be preferred.
- Successful completion of training programs.
- Additional certifications may be required.
- Exceptional communication and decision making skills.
- Familiarity with technology, including radio and computer equipment.
- Attention to detail and ability to maintain thorough and accurate records.
- Strong task and time management skills.
- Ability to analyze information and draw conclusions.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources