Also known as Procurement Specialists, Purchasing Specialists source material, product, and service supplies for organizations. They evaluate and identify suitable suppliers, negotiate terms, monitor supplier performance, and resolve supply issues, discrepancies, and delays.
The most suitable candidate will demonstrate strong analytical and organizational skills. Be wary of candidates with poor time management and negotiation skills.
Interview Questions for Purchasing Specialists:
1. Can you describe the most difficult procurement issue you have faced?
Reveals work experience and problem-solving skills.
2. How do you go about sourcing new suppliers?
Demonstrates the ability to research and evaluate suppliers against key criteria and how the candidate contacts and communicates with prospective suppliers.
3. How would you describe your negotiation skills? Please substantiate.
Reveals the candidate's negotiation skills.
4. How do you build and maintain strong supplier relations?
Tests the candidate's interpersonal skills and the ability to build and maintain positive business relations.
5. What do you do when a supplier fails to perform?
Demonstrates work experience and the ability to critically assess and resolve issues.
Similar Interview Questions
Related Hiring Resources