Purchasing agents buy materials, goods, and services that companies require for daily operations, manufacturing, or to be resold at a profit.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Purchasing Agent Job Description Template
We are looking for a dedicated Purchasing Agent to join our procurement team. The Purchasing Agent reports to the Purchasing Manager and is responsible for identifying suppliers, researching goods and services, processing purchase orders, and verifying delivered items.
To be successful as a Purchasing Agent you should be able to critically assess suppliers, products, and services, and negotiate the best possible deals. Ultimately, an outstanding Purchasing Agent has a keen sense of business and maintains meticulous transaction records.
Purchasing Agent Responsibilities:
- Researching and comparing suppliers, goods, and services.
- Selecting the most suitable suppliers in terms of reliability, product quality, and cost-efficiency.
- Monitoring inventory levels and determining purchase needs.
- Requesting cost proposals and negotiating contracts and prices.
- Preparing and processing purchase orders.
- Maintaining records of all transactions, purchase orders, receipts, and payments.
- Scheduling and verifying purchase deliveries.
- Building and maintaining positive, long-term supplier relations.
Purchasing Agent Requirements:
- High school degree/GED required.
- Degree in business administration, procurement, or a related field preferred.
- Previous experience as a Purchasing Agent or in a similar position.
- Proficiency in CRM and inventory management software programs.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
- Strong organization and documentation skills.
- Strong research and analytical skills.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources