Public relations specialists build and maintain a positive public image for a company or organization. They create media, from press releases to social media messages, that shape public opinion of the company or organization and increase awareness of its brand.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Public Relations Job Description Template
We are seeking to hire a Public Relations specialist who will be responsible for building and maintaining a positive image for our company. You will be in charge of establishing and maintaining relationships with consumer, community, employee, and public interest groups by writing press releases and other media communications, responding to requests for information and press conferences, and coaching client representatives in the correct way of communicating with the public and with clients.
To be successful in this role, you will need a deep understanding of consumer marketing. You will also need excellent written and verbal communication skills. Previous experience in handling a press conference is also an advantage.
Public Relations Responsibilities:
- Responding to requests for information release or press conference from the media or designating a spokesperson or source of information.
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with consumer, community, employee, and public interest groups.
- Writing press releases and other media communications to promote clients.
- Planning or directing the development of programs to maintain favorable public and stockholder views of the organization's agenda and accomplishments.
- Coaching client representatives in effective communication with the public and employees.
- Studying the organization's objectives, promotional policies, and needs to build public relations strategies that influence public opinion and promote products, ideas, and services.
- Preparing and editing organizational publications, including employee newsletters or stockholders' reports, for internal and external audiences.
- Updating and maintaining Web content.
- Conferring with managers to identify trends and group interests and providing advice on business decisions.
Public Relations Requirements:
- Bachelor degree in journalism, PR, marketing or related field.
- Experience handling a press conference.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to pitch to media.
- Knowledge of consumer marketing.
- An ability to work on big strategy plans as well as day-to-day tasks.
- Ability to think both creatively and strategically.
- Ability to run PR campaigns that deliver measurable results and meet objectives.
- Deadline-oriented, inquisitive, with great follow-up and reporting skills.
- Creativity in securing coverage and buzz with traditional outlets.
- Understanding of social media and solid experience working with bloggers.
- Project and budget management skills.
- Responds well under pressure with strict time limit.
- Quick and enthusiastic learner.
Public Relations FAQ:
What is a public relations job?
Public Relations Specialists cultivate and protect a company’s image. They manage communications between an organization and the public and help shape the public’s perception of a business. Add your essential public relations tasks and duties to our public relations description to create a professional and informative job listing for your business.
Can I edit or add to your public relations specialist job description?
Your public relations job overview should reflect your company’s needs. Feel free to customize any section of our public relations job description sample to get a listing that works for your company.
What should I include in my job listing when I post a public relations job?
When you advertise a public relations job, you should provide details about the public relations requirements for your organization. Tell applicants more about the qualities and qualifications you’re looking for and the PR duties they’ll have to perform. Use or add to our public relations job description sample above to design your public relations job listing and begin attracting top talent today.
Do you have interview questions for public relations specialists?
We have interview questions to go with all of our job descriptions.
After you have created a public relations position description, take some time to review our public relations interview questions.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources