Probation Officers help offenders fulfill their probation by employing various monitoring techniques and arranging additional services as may be required. They act as an intermediary between judges and offenders, track probationers' progress and make recommendations.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Probation Officer Job Description Template
We are looking for a reliable Probation Officer to manage multiple cases and oversee probationers' compliance with their probation terms. The Probation Officer will be responsible for ensuring probationers understand their probation terms, instituting rehabilitation plans, monitoring progress, and arranging other services to assist probationers in achieving their goals.
To be successful as a Probation Officer you should be able to handle stressful situations and make well-informed decisions. An outstanding Probation Officer should be able to interpret their probationers' moods, anticipate their reactions, and motivate them to stay on track.
Probation Officer Responsibilities:
- Developing, recommending and implementing rehabilitation and treatment plans.
- Interviewing probationers regularly to evaluate their progress.
- Maintaining contact with probationers and their families.
- Initiating court action or recommending remedial action for probation violations.
- Verifying compliance with substance abuse treatment programs by administering drug and alcohol tests.
- Preparing and maintaining case files, records, and progress reports.
- Informing inmates or offenders of specific conditional release requirements.
- Arranging court-ordered treatment services and monitoring community-based sentences.
- Arranging for post-release services to facilitate reintegration as a productive member of society.
Probation Officer Requirements:
- Degree in criminology, sociology, criminal justice or a related field required.
- Previous experience in case management, law enforcement or probation.
- Good critical thinking skills and social perceptiveness.
- Ability to manage multiple cases.
- Excellent communication and listening skills.
- Strong time and stress management skills.
- Good interpersonal and decision-making skills.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources