Photo Editors select artistically appealing photographs to accompany magazine articles. Their duties include brainstorming creative concepts with editors, coordinating photography assignments, and obtaining copyright permissions. They may also work for newspapers or other publications that feature photography.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Photo Editor Job Description Template
We are seeking a creative Photo Editor to ensure that our articles feature esthetically pleasing photographs. As a Photo Editor, you will discuss concepts with our editors, arrange photoshoots, and ensure that selected photographs are artfully positioned in relation to the text.
To be successful as a Photo Editor, you should demonstrate experience in photo editing and the ability to align your creative ideas with those of the editorial team. Top-notch Photo Editors are team players who enrich the reader experience with beautiful photographic arrangements.
Photo Editor Responsibilities:
- Consulting with the editorial team and brainstorming creative concepts.
- Coordinating photography assignments and allocating projects to in-house photographers.
- Hiring specialist photographers and negotiating fees, if relevant.
- Obtaining rights to photographs, as well as permission to shoot at designated locations, when required.
- Selecting photographs that complement the text in the way envisaged by the editorial team.
- Editing and artfully positioning photographs to accompany texts.
- Submitting photographic designs for approval in a timely manner.
- Obtaining feedback from editorial teams and making relevant changes, when required.
- Keeping track of industry trends and advancements in the field of photographic editing.
Photo Editor Requirements:
- Bachelor’s or Associate Degree in Photography, Visual Arts, or similar.
- 2-3 years of experience in photo editing, or similar.
- A complete portfolio of work-related examples.
- Advanced proficiency in photograph editing software, such as Lightroom, Photoshop, and InDesign.
- Exceptional creative abilities as reflected in appealing photographic content.
- Ability to collaborate on projects and integrate editorial feedback.
- Extensive experience in coordinating photography projects and meeting deadlines.
- In-depth knowledge of copyright and other relevant permissions.
- Proficiency in keeping up with photography trends and related technologies.
- Excellent communication skills.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources