Petroleum Engineer Job Description Template
We are looking for an analytical petroleum engineer to assist with the location of natural petroleum reservoirs and to devise the best methods of extraction. The petroleum engineer's responsibilities include discovering new petroleum reservoirs, developing cost-efficient, effective methods of petroleum recovery, extracting and producing oil and gas from underground reservoirs, and developing new ways to extract oil and gas from older reservoirs.
To be a successful petroleum engineer, you should have strong mathematical, analytical, and problem-solving skills. You should have an in-depth knowledge of extraction techniques and principles, and be willing to travel to and live in possibly harsh and unfriendly locations.
Petroleum Engineer Responsibilities:
- Analyzing, interpreting, and monitoring the geological formation data to ascertain the extraction risks and the best methods of extraction.
- Using surveys, testing, and analysis to evaluate new reservoirs to determine profits and to create low-cost drilling and extraction plans.
- Generating computer-simulated models for drilling formation and equipment, ensuring and designing the best tools and equipment for extraction, and managing machinery and production costs.
- Determining the most efficient way to drill through internal divisions for a free-flowing single well.
- Determining the most efficient way to fracture shale beds to free the gas or oil.
- Overseeing ongoing production operations, ensuring the efficient extraction and drilling, and ensuring extraction and transportation respect safety and environmental regulations.
- Maintaining on-site drilling and pumping equipment.
- Developing and refining methods of extracting more petroleum from existing wells.
- Overseeing the removal of the company's equipment, the sealing of the reservoir, and the disposal of waste materials once the reservoir has been exhausted.
Petroleum Engineer Requirements:
- A bachelor's degree in petroleum, civil, mechanical, chemical, or related Engineering field.
- An in-depth, creative knowledge of extraction techniques and principles.
- Good IT, research, and survey skills.
- Strong technical, analytical, numerical, and problem-solving skills.
- Good communication, interpersonal, and teamworking skills.
- The willingness and ability to be held accountable for multi-million dollar operations.
- The willingness and ability to work in remote locations, with harsh climates and often unfriendly locals.
- The ability to handle a physically demanding and stressful work environment.