Payroll Accountants process salary payments to employees. Their responsibilities include calculating salaries, updating payroll systems with employee information, and preparing internal and external tax reports. They may also conduct internal audits.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Payroll Accountant Job Description Template
We are looking for a highly capable Payroll Accountant to manage our payroll system. In this role, your duties will include ensuring accurate salary payments, calculating overtime earnings, and updating employee hiring or termination information on the payroll system.
To ensure success as a Payroll Accountant, you should demonstrate knowledge of applicable tax laws and ideally have experience in a similar role. A first-class Payroll Accountant will be detail-oriented and someone who can accurately and timely process salaries.
Payroll Accountant Responsibilities:
- Preparing ledger entries with earnings and deductions.
- Entering payroll information and maintaining payroll files.
- Calculating salaries, overtime earnings, and vacation deductions.
- Issuing paychecks in a timely manner.
- Generating payroll reports for Managers to review.
- Updating payroll systems, including employment hires and terminations.
- Preparing payroll and tax reports for federal, state, and local agencies when required.
- Attending to payroll inquiries from employees.
Payroll Accountant Requirements:
- An Associate's or Bachelor's Degree in Accounting.
- Fundamental Payroll Certification (FPC) or Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) will be advantageous.
- A minimum of two years' experience as a Payroll Accountant, or in a similar role.
- Proficiency in Payroll Software, such as BrightPay and Payroll Mate.
- Extensive experience in preparing ledger entries and processing payments.
- In-depth knowledge of applicable tax laws.
- Experience in preparing payroll and tax reports, as well as answering payroll inquiries.
- Ability to maintain and update employees' payroll files.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources