Also known as general ledger accountants, GL accountants ensure that an organization’s accounting information and practices are accurately reflected. They gather and verify the accuracy of financial data, check journal entries, and reconcile accounts. They may be fulltime employed or work as consultants in a wide variety of settings.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
GL Accountant Job Description Template
We are seeking a detail-oriented GL accountant to perform accounting tasks in collaboration with internal departments. You will be conducting audits on the accuracy of our financial information, providing assurance that our accounting practices adhere to regulations, and performing general ledger entries and account reconciliations.
To ensure success as a GL accountant, you should demonstrate sound knowledge of best practices in general ledger accounting and experience in a similar role. A top-class GL accountant will be someone whose accounting expertise results in accurate financial planning and regulatory compliance.
GL Accountant Responsibilities:
- Collaborating with internal departments to gather, analyze, and interpret relevant financial information.
- Performing audits on financial data to assure its accuracy and truthfulness.
- Ensuring that financial information complies with professional and regulatory standards.
- Aligning general ledger accounting practices to support budgeting and forecasting.
- Entering financial data such as accruals, deferrals, reclassifications, and interdepartmental entries into the ledger on a monthly basis, as well as preparing reports.
- Performing account analysis to ensure that journal entries and balances are correct.
- Reconciling accounts with the general ledger.
- Gathering supporting documentation and performing recordkeeping.
- Keeping abreast of regulatory requirements and best practices in accounting.
GL Accountant Requirements:
- Bachelor's or associate's degree in accounting, or in a related specialization.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or CPA candidate preferred.
- At least two years' experience in general ledger accounting, or similar.
- Proficiency in accounting and business management software, such as NetSuite and Zoho Books.
- In-depth knowledge of accounting standards and regulations.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Superb time-management and organizational skills.
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources