Payroll Officer Job Description Template
We are looking to for a qualified payroll officer to join our HR team. As a payroll officer, you will be responsible for tracking and managing our company’s payroll data. You will be required to track employee work hours, prepare compensation checks, calculate bonuses and allowances, and respond to employee questions about wages and deductions.
To ensure success as a payroll officer, you should have detailed knowledge of accounting and payroll procedures, familiarity with labor legislation, and advanced mathematical skills. A skilled Payroll Officer should be able to process payment checks on time and resolve payroll issues in a timely manner.
Payroll Officer Responsibilities:
- Collecting daily, weekly, and monthly employee timesheets.
- Calculating employee work hours.
- Calculating employee benefits and deductions.
- Preparing employee compensation checks using payroll software.
- Ensuring taxes comply with company and state regulations.
- Scheduling electronic payments and handing out paychecks.
- Preparing payroll reports.
- Distributing payment statements.
- Responding to employee questions about compensation, taxes, benefits, and deductions.
- Entering new employee data into the company database.
Payroll Officer Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, human resources, or a similar field.
- Previous experience working as a payroll officer.
- Advanced Mathematical skills and strong attention to detail.
- Proficient with payroll software including Quickbooks, Sage, EPAY, and Gusto.
- Familiarity with accounting software and procedures.
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Familiarity with state labor laws.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to prepare and present financial reports.