Orthodontic Dental Assistants provide chairside assistance to Orthodontists and ensure that patients are well-informed about orthodontic procedures and braces aftercare. They prepare appointment rooms, sterilize orthodontic tools, and adjust patients’ braces as directed by the resident Orthodontist.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Orthodontic Dental Assistant Job Description Template
We are looking to hire an experienced Orthodontic Dental Assistant to assist the Orthodontist with initial patient consults and regular check-ups. The Orthodontic Dental Assistant's responsibilities include taking directions from the Orthodontist, cleaning and polishing patients’ teeth before the installation of braces, and removing patients’ braces upon completion of orthodontic treatments. You should also ensure that the necessary orthodontic instruments and tools are on hand during patient appointments.
To be successful as an Orthodontic Dental Assistant, you should have good hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity to ensure the safety of patients during orthodontic procedures. Ultimately, an exceptional Orthodontic Dental Assistant should be able to demonstrate patience as well as excellent organizational and communication skills.
Orthodontic Dental Assistant Responsibilities:
- Maintaining accurate records of patients' oral health histories and treatment progress.
- Ensuring that all orthodontic instruments and equipment are properly sterilized before each use.
- Keeping patients’ mouths dry during orthodontic procedures by using a suction hose as needed.
- Taking intraoral X-rays of patients’ mouths.
- Taking photographs of patients’ teeth to aid the Orthodontist in developing treatment plans and to document patient progress.
- Taking dental molds of patients’ teeth for the fabrication of customized mouthguards and retainers.
- Removing and replacing wires, coil springs, donuts, and elastic bands.
- Educating patients on proper oral hygiene practices and braces aftercare.
Orthodontic Dental Assistant Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Associate's degree in Dental Assisting.
- Certified as an Orthodontic Assistant by the Dental Assisting National Body (DANB).
- Licensed to provide orthodontic assistance.
- CPR certification.
- Proven experience working as an Orthodontic Dental Assistant.
- Sound knowledge of various orthodontic procedures and practices.
- Good manual dexterity.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Effective communication skills.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources