A dental assistant helps with a variety of health care tasks, from taking dental x-rays and caring for patients, to helping file records and appointment scheduling.
Dental Assistant Job Description Template
We are hiring a Dental Assistant for our busy dental practice. You will help with preparing patients, sterilizing instruments, setting up rooms, and some dental hygiene tasks. To do well in this role you should have a dental x-ray certification and provide a great level of patient care.
Dental Assistant Responsibilities:
- Preparing patients for dental work.
- Helping with infection control by sterilizing and disinfecting instruments, setting up instrument trays, preparing materials, and assisting with dental procedures.
- Assisting dentists in managing medical and dental emergencies when necessary.
- Assisting dental hygienists with procedures when necessary.
- Providing great patient care.
- Recording treatment information in patient records.
- Exposing dental x-rays from dental diagnostics and caring for dental x-ray equipment.
- Giving patients information on dental hygiene, oral health care, and plaque control programs.
- Collecting and recording medical and dental histories and patient vital signs.
- Providing postoperative instructions as directed by the dentist.
- Caring for dental equipment.
- Forming preliminary impressions for study casts and occlusal registrations for mounting study casts.
- Ordering dental supplies and maintaining dental equipment inventory.
- Fabricating temporary restorations and custom impressions from preliminary impressions.
Dental Assistant Requirements:
- Certification or associate degree in an accredited dental assistance program.
- Dental x-ray certification.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Completion of Dental Hygiene Program.
- Experience using computers for a variety of tasks.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Consistently professional appearance and attitude.
- Able to provide great patient care.