Dental Hygienists typically work in a dental office and perform tasks that include preventive dental care, checking patients for gingivitis and other oral diseases, cleaning teeth, and talking to patients about how they can improve oral health.
Dental Hygienist Job Description Template
We are hiring a Dental Hygienist for our growing dental practice. You will assist the dentist in various procedures and operation of x-ray machines. To do well in this role you should have a current State hygiene license, up-to-date vaccinations, and previous experience as a dental hygienist.
Dental Hygienist Responsibilities:
- Using dental instruments to clean accretions, calcareous deposits, and stains from teeth and beneath margins of gums.
- Looking for indications of oral cancer by feeling lymph nodes under patient chins for signs of tenderness or swelling.
- Noting and reviewing patient medical history.
- Using probes to examine and locate periodontal recessed gums and other signs of gum disease.
- Recording dental decay and disease for diagnosis and treatment by dentists.
- Maintaining dental equipment and x-ray machine.
- Feeling and visually examining gums for signs of disease, sores, and other dental health issues.
- Exposing and developing x-ray film.
- Sharpening and sterilizing dental instruments.
- Promoting preventative dental care to improve patient oral health care.
- Applying fluorides and other dental decay preventing agents.
- Working with dentists and dental assistant.
- Maintaining a dental hygiene program for patients.
Dental Hygienist Requirements:
- Associate’s degree from an accredited Hygiene program.
- State hygiene license.
- Current CPR certificate.
- Current on Hepatitis B vaccination.
- Ability to administer local anesthetic agents.
- Able to use an x-ray machine.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Comfortable using computers for a variety of tasks.
- Knowledgeable about oral hygiene and dental health.