Orthodontists specialize in the diagnosis, prevention, and correction of teeth and jaw irregularities. One of their primary job functions is to design, fabricate, or use orthodontic appliances to realign teeth and jaws in order to allow for normal functioning and to improve appearance.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Orthodontist Job Description Template
We are looking for an experienced Orthodontist to perform examinations in order to assess patient needs. You will also be responsible for fitting patients for dentures, braces, and other orthodontic appliances.
To be successful as an Orthodontist you must have a desire to help people, an interest in oral health, and be able to provide exceptional patient care.
- Using various diagnostic tests to determine the condition of patients’ teeth.
- Studying patient records, including dental histories, plaster models of teeth, and X-rays to develop treatment plans for patients.
- Discussing treatment plans and cost estimates with patients.
- Treating occlusion issues and other oral conditions.
- Instructing assistants on orthodontic procedures and techniques.
- Collaborating with other specialists, such as dentists and oral surgeons, to coordinate orthodontic services within the overall treatment plan.
- Fitting patients for various orthodontic appliances.
- Scheduling regular checkups with patients to make adjustments to orthodontic appliances, such as tightening braces, and tracking patient progress.
- Educating patients about on-going orthodontic care and explaining proper oral hygiene methods for good oral health.
- Providing referrals to other professionals, such as oral surgeons, when needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, chemistry, or a related field.
- Doctor of Medical Dentistry (DMD) degree or a Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) degree.
- Further studies in orthodontics, accredited by the American Dental Association (ADA).
- Member of the American Association of Orthodontists (AAO).
- In-depth knowledge of various molds and orthodontic appliances.
- Experience using hand tools (periodontal scalers, band pluggers, cutters, pliers) and diagnostic tools (digital X-rays, 3D images).
- Superb dexterity and hand-eye coordination.
- Outstanding patient management skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources