Oral Surgeons, also known as Maxillofacial Surgeons, are medical specialists within the broader field of dentistry. They perform corrective and therapeutic procedures on the mouths and jaws of their patients and often work in conjunction with other dentists, surgeons, and orthodontists.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Oral Surgeon Job Description Template
We are looking for a dexterous Oral Surgeon to perform surgeries on patients who require specialist orofacial procedures. Your responsibilities will include consulting with patients, discussing treatment options, treating patients, overseeing aftercare, and coordinating with other specialists, when necessary.
To be successful as an Oral Surgeon, you must have experience working with various orofacial defects, such as cleft palates and cleft lips, in order to provide effective surgical treatment and care.
Oral Surgeon Responsibilities:
- Consulting with patients and analyzing patient data to determine patient needs and treatment goals.
- Collaborating with other specialists, such as restorative dentists and orthodontists, to plan treatments.
- Recording patient care by maintaining detailed notes of appointments with patients, including comments, tests and/or treatments prescribed, and test results.
- Administering general and local anesthetics, when necessary.
- Performing surgical procedures to extract impacted or damaged teeth, place dental implants, and remove tumors and other abnormal growths of the oral and/or facial regions.
- Prescribing medication to improve recovery and control pain after procedures.
- Treating infections of the oral cavity, salivary glands, jaw, face, and neck.
- Providing emergency treatment of orofacial injuries including facial lacerations, intraoral lacerations, and fractured facial bones.
- Performing minor cosmetic procedures, such as chin and cheekbone enhancements.
- Providing support and advice to patients receiving long-term care.
- Conducting research on defects, diseases, and disorders affecting the oral and/or facial regions.
Oral Surgeon Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, chemistry, or a related field.
- Doctor of Medical Dentistry (DMD) degree or a Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) degree.
- Licensed to practice as an Oral Surgeon.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Outstanding hand-eye coordination and dexterity.
- Wonderful bedside manner.
- Excellent communicator who can empathize with patients.
- Flexible working hours.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources