Optometric Assistant Job Description Template
We are looking for a detail-oriented optometric assistant to perform customer service, clerical, and technical services to assist the optometrist. The optometric assistant's customer service responsibilities include greeting customers, answering questions, and assisting customers to choose frames. Clerical responsibilities include scheduling appointments, documenting patient histories, filing insurance claims, and maintaining inventory. Technical responsibilities include taking visual acuity measurements and measuring the distance between the patient's pupils.
To be a successful optometric assistant, you should have strong organizational and communication skills. You should demonstrate strong attention to detail, and a good working knowledge of optical equipment and its uses.
Optometric Assistant Responsibilities:
- Greeting customers, answering questions, and obtaining preliminary patient histories.
- Performing administrative duties, such as keeping records, scheduling appointments, filing insurance claims, performing bookkeeping, and managing inventory.
- Preparing patients for vision examinations, such as administering eye drops and seating patients at eye-testing machines.
- Assisting with vision examinations, such as performing depth and color perception tests and taking visual acuity measurements.
- Assisting customers with frame selections.
- Working with patients in vision therapy, and educating patients on the proper eye and contact lens care.
- Adjusting and repairing frames, and modifying contact lenses.
Optometric Assistant Requirements:
- A high school diploma or equivalent.
- An asociate's degree in medical assisting may be a benefit.
- An optometric assistant certification may be a benefit.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- A strong attention to detail.
- The ability to multi-task.
- The ability to work with delicate tools and materials.